Sunday, November 18, 2012

Reflection of Interactivity #4

I decided to choose a lesson plan that focused on point of view in a 7th Grade Language Arts Classroom. The main idea of the lesson was to engage students with two similar texts, The Three Little Pigs and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by A. Wolf. I have seen this lesson done in the classroom and it is a great way to introduce students to the concept of point of view. The lesson plan was very well done and it incorporated a lot of different pieces of literature to further the discussion on point of view. I think that by using so many different texts if gives the students a more thorough look into the concept, but it may also overwhelm the students. I chose to simplify the readings and add more interactive assignments for the students to do so they can apply what they have learned.

All of the activities were aligned appropriately with the standards, strategies, and technologies used. Many of the standards could've easily met more than one strategy on this lesson plan, but how the chart is set up, it shows how each particular strategy and technology would best meet the expectation of the standard. For example, there were many different strategies I could have chosen to have the students engage with the concept of point of view. For that one standard I chose to have the students for the strategy participate and develop a mock trial to reflect the two Three Little Pigs stories we covered in class. There would be the Wolf vs. The Pigs and the students would be divided and work for either side they are given. Their job was to come up with a solid defense for their side to justify who was truly in the wrong based on both stories. The student were to use a power point presentation  to show the class the evidence, photos, claims, and facts produced from their further understanding of the stories after studying point of view. This activity solidifies the cliche that there is two sides to every story and further more that not just one side is always the right one. The teacher would then decide based on their arguments and supporting claims who in fact is the guilty party.

The use of technologies allows the students the opportunity to work with the concept of point of view in a variety of ways where they are actively participating. Most of the activities the author decided to do involved creating Venn Diagrams. There are only so many Venn Diagrams a student can make before they are completely turned off from them. So instead, I wanted them to create a character chart to prepare them for a specific assignment where students were to read certain fairytales and then rewrite them by retelling the story in a different character's point of view. This activity is great because it allows the students the opportunity to creatively engage with the concept and perhaps think differently about an all too familiar text. Regarding the mock trial, the students are asked to participate and give their beliefs on who is in fact innocent or guilty by completing a blog on blogger where they need to comment on atleast 2 other classmate's blogs whether they agree or disagree with their decision. This would happen before the teacher gives the verdict.

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Auxbf2gsFYKRdGFaWWdfRjVKNUpzS20tTVVCTE5QcEE

2 comments:

  1. I really like point of view assignments in English classes. A few semesters back, I did an assignment where we had to re-write the ending of Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. I swear that I never understood the work until I experienced that assignment. So many students work with texts but do not actually interact with them enough to really grasp understanding rather than recalling facts.

    I really like the idea of a mock trial and I like how the technology helps to aid what was learned from the trial because they will continue to interact concerning the side they are on. In order to correctly participate, students need to be critically thinking. I like how students need to write their own blog and then comment on others because it is like the trial continues on even after class. Plus, when writing the blogs, students will be writing from their different points of view. Therefore, they will have a verbal trial in class and a written trial via blogs. Moreover, students interacting with each other will help to gain more understanding. By simply writing a paper choosing a point of view, students will only have their own thoughts. But when interacting with other students, they will hear and see points that they did not think of that might either change their minds or that they will have to pose an argument against. The blogs really help to foster this interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually come across this lesson plan on point of view before and found it to be so interesting! I think lessons on point of view could be really fun and creative because they allow students to get involved and alter the text. I love the idea of having the students do a mock trial! This could be a great activity that the students really enjoy doing. I love activities like mock trials because they can be used to assess students without having to give them a test or an essay. Through a mock trial, a teacher can clearly see who has read the text and is knowledgeable about the topic. A mock trial allows students to go group work, teaching them about collaboration, and also to practice public speaking. This is a fun way for students to engage and be creative while learning and gaining knowledge. I like that there is a blogging component that is to be completed after the mock trials conclude. This is a great way to foster a discussion and have students reflect.

    ReplyDelete