After viewing
the video on the evolution of technology, I believe that one of the most
influential technologies that have helped education in Language Arts has to be
the computer. The computer has aided students in being able to write and prepare
better essays due to Microsoft Word, which can help students who may struggle
with spelling or formatting. It has made papers more formalized and also easier
for teachers to read instead of wasting time deciphering through poor
penmanship. Besides making assignments easier to complete and assess, the
computer also has allowed students to find articles and short stories with the
click of a mouse, making it more accessible for students to read. Educational
games based through computer programs and websites can help students with
grammar, literature, and spelling all by playing a game, which is one of the
most effective ways for a student to learn.
After
reading both A Social History of Media and Technology in Schools and
Rethinking Technology in Schools, the computer proves to be the most
influential technology within formalized schooling. In Dr. Domine's interview with Grace Dubois,
A Social History of Media and Technology in Schools, Grace gives
her opinion on the use of computer games being used in schools, "I don’t think
it is an appropriate message to send to our students—that if they complete
the“boring” schoolwork then they can play “fun” video games. I think that is a
false dichotomy. What I have learned is that media interactivity does not
guarantee interactive learning or even innovative teaching" (Dubois, 48). I do
agree that it is not always guaranteed that students will engage with the
interactivity, especially as the students get into middle and high school.
However, I do think that computer games, educational ones, are extremely
effective. I know that throughout all my education, especially in elementary
school, I was playing what I believed to be a game, but learned and retained so
much knowledge. Grammar and spelling interactivities can be helpful to students
who are struggling with pronunciation and could be a beneficial aid at home to
help reinforce the lessons from the teacher.
Online
research is imperative to students while writing papers. Being able to easily
access online journals and articles about a variety of topics allows the
students to build their essays on a word document while easily attaching their
sources. Regarding computers Dr. Domine in Chapter 2 of Rethinking
Technology in Schools says, “—technologies
will liberate students from the traditional classroom, enabling them to be
self-motivated learners and creators of their own knowledge” (Domine,
36).
I
agree with the quote because students are able to use sources to validate their
own thesis, rather than sources creating the thesis for them.
Students of the “digital era” are
learning in a different way by gathering information online in a matter of
minutes rather than hours spent in the library.
The computer has made a great impact on
technology in the classroom, but with any form of technology, there are some
drawbacks. The computer does contain many sources online for students to help
aid them in papers or projects. Some students take advantage of the vast amount
of information on the internet and use it to plagiarize. It is unfortunate that
some students refuse to write their own assignments, but instead copy and paste
others hard work and take the credit.
We
have come a long way from writing on chalk with slates and typing on a type
writer to using a universally functional device to read and write on easily. The
computer has also made the job of the teacher easier as well, “—my mother used
it to record her grades and create assignment sheets and quizzes for her
students” (Dubois, 47).
Even
though the computer makes certain tasks as a teacher and student easier to
complete, it doesn’t mean that the work that goes into assignments and
assessments should be less validated. Teachers still clock in those hours
grading assignments that their students put time into writing and completing.
The computer just alleviates a little of the stress by making these tasks seem
more efficient.
Lauren, I completely agree with you that the computer has had a significant impact on the English content area. I can't imagine having to hand write a whole paper I think that it would take me a very very long time. I am forever changing my paper at the last minute and could not imagine having white out something every time I needed to make a change.
ReplyDeleteI am also with you that the chalkboard is huge to the education world. Sometimes I wonder if chalkboards or whiteboards will ever be completely obsolete. Even the smart board has evolved from the basic idea of the chalkboard. I have also found in the classroom that many teachers use their computers to present lessons to the class but at sometimes you just want to circle a word or draw and arrow to it which proves to be difficult on the computer.
Despite, the chalkboard being so significant I think the computer will always have and will impact Education the most. Even as the computer evolves it will just get probably smaller and more sufficient.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI think chalk boards and white boards were a great invention. They help teachers to model lessons for the class without going from student to student. I also think about transparency where teachers can put actual texts and use markers to mark up text for grammar lessons.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the computer is great for language arts. I know some students still like to write their essays and then type them but I always loved typing anything I write. I love the fact that I could edit easily and organize my essay easily by spacing certain paragraphs to separate them into certain parts before finalizing my paper. Also, I love being able to copy and paste and switch information around. Like you said, I like spell check but I also think students should not use that as a crutch. Spell check is not always accurate and does not help students fix essays if they are unorganized. If students use spell check, they might think they do not need to re-read their essay. I think we, as teachers, should teach students the importance or checking over their own work instead of solely relying on spell check.
I do think that the computer is great because there are so many articles and short stories but I also love how you can find sources so quickly. I like how you can use a search engine like Ebsco and type in what you are looking for to pull up results that contain information you are seeking. However, I also think students need to understand how important libraries are and all that they offer. It is important students understand how to find sources in a library and learn about the Dewey Decimal System, for example. Our job as educators is to show students all of the paths towards learning from libraries to Internet search engines.
I like how you talked about educational games because I think it is important that students have fun as they learn. There are plenty of fun and exciting games for students that are also helpful for learning and are interactive as well. They may be labeled as “games,” but they are still educational and also allow students to interact with their learning.
Also, I like how you talked about plagiarism because I think students roll their eyes every time this topic is brought up but there are so many ways to plagiarize. Some students may be plagiarizing and not even intend to. It is so important that we, as educators, show students what plagiarism is and how it might be different than what they think it is.
I think computers are great for us to organize and record grades like you said was mentioned in the article with Grace Dubois. Computers are also great for helping students create like PowerPoint and paint programs. Also, computers allow students to work in a group and communicate through Skype, Facebook, or email when they are not physically together.
I really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Right away you were able to catch my attention. In your first sentence you mentioned how technology basically determines how teachers are able to each and students are able to lear. First, I feel that teachers already have a ton of pressure on their backs from the state's standards, and having to live up to them. But, then it seems that technology would contribute toward this burden. Integrating technology inside of the classroom would put the pressure on teachers that this should be their only pedagogy. Then, this caused me to think about the students and all of their different ways of learning. Some students need a hands-on approach, others a visual and others would rather listen to lectures. Even though technology may seem to make the learning tasks more appealing, what about the needs of other students and how they learn?
ReplyDelete